Monday, September 27, 2010

Chicken Parmesan Pie

Why hello kids!

So I was watching Paula Deen (as usual) on Food Network and she threw together this really easy Chicken Pot Pie. I decided that was what I was going to have for dinner. Then I kind of (as usual) starting throwing ideas around in my head. I've posted the Chicken Parmesan Recipe before and talked about Jon and my love for Chicken Parm. So any chance I get to take our favorites and recreate them, I jump on it. Well, I came up with the idea to try a Chicken Parm Pie Casserole type dish. So thats what I've created here. Jon literally ate 3/4ths of it in one sitting so I know I did a good job. Its Chicken Parm meets Casserole meets Garlic Bread meets Pizza. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Chicken Parmesan Pie

Chicken Parm:
1.5 lbs cubed chicken
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 stick butter
2 tbsp olive oil
Sauce:
1 cup marinara
1 cup alfredo
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Garlic Bread Topping:
1 container of refrigerated pizza dough
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare for chicken parm "assembly" with 3 containers. First container will have flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and garlic powder. Second container will have 4 beaten eggs. Last container will have bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Heat skillet to medium high heat with two tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil. You will most likely only be able to cook half the chicken, depending on the size of your skillet. If you have a very large skillet, use all butter and olive oil. After running the cubed chicken through the flour mixure, then eggs, then breadcrumb mixture, cook in pan until golden brown on both sides. Set aside on a plate, and do the same with the other half of the cubed chicken if done with smaller skillet.

While the chicken is cooking, pour marinara, alfredo and parmesan in baking dish. Once chicken is done, place cooked chicken over sauce mixture and then top with mozzarella cheese. Knead out dough to desired thickness to cover baking dish. Place dough over baking dish and make three to four slits in top of dough.

Bake in oven 10-15 minutes until light golden brown. While it is baking, combine softened butter, parmesan cheese, oregano and garlic in small mixing bowl. Once it is lightly golden brown, take "pie" out of the oven and brush the butter mixture to cover the dough. Place back in oven for another 5 minutes just for dough to soak up butter mix.

Enjoy!

I hope you guys like this dish. It seems like a lot of work, but I had a lot of fun making it. Please send me your comments, pictures and ideas to cookingwithcait@gmail.com :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...