Friday, January 11, 2013

Chicken Salsa Soup




Happy new year everyone!


In 2013, I have decided to commit to "eating clean". My personal trainer let me borrow a book called "The Eat-Clean Diet". The focus of this diet is really just on getting in your protein, fruits and vegetables. It's also got a huge focus on preparing your own meals. So, I declared to myself that I am not a morning person so I have been preparing my food at night.

Tonight, I threw together a really simple soup that I can pack in my thermos for work tomorrow. It is super delicious and filled with loads of vegetables.


1-2 tbsp olive oil
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 pieces of celery, diced (the leaves too!)
1/2 onion, diced
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 32 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can of sweet corn, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup salsa
2-3 cups shredded chicken, fully cooked
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 chicken bouillon cube


In a large pot, saute diced vegetables in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir tomato paste in until evenly distributed. Add in remaining ingredients. Cook on high until boiling. Then, cover and cook on low-medium for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.


I'm sure this one would be great in the crock pot as well! I just happened to go the stove route tonight.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...