Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fat Girl Pride

So I'm going to take a break from a cooking post and just share something I was thinking about while on the elliptical today...

I am a competitive person. I was never the best swimmer when on the swim team, the most graceful dancer in ballet class or the most athletic cheerleader on my cheer squad. However, I always watched other people and tried my best to keep up or beat them. What I lacked in natural athletic ability, I made up for in heart.

Today at the gym I started letting the negative thoughts creep in my mind. In all my sports and dance experience, I was never a runner. None of them really required me to be able to run a mile consecutively. So now, almost 10 years after high school is done, I'm just now trying to run. Today, I ran a mile in 11:55. And just as I'm walking off my want to throw up after I'm done, I see this girl. She's on an ab machine wearing just her sports bra and spandex pants. I see girls like her all the time and I just get angry. She is sitting there texting and flirting with some guy next to her. I rarely ever see these girls workout. However, I know if she got on the treadmill, she could run that 10 minute mile I'm chasing after. The negative thoughts just came and stole my pride that I cut 8 seconds off my own time.

Then, I really started thinking. This girl is easily 100 lbs less, if not more, than I am. So then I thought, could she do an 11:55 mile wearing a 100 lb backpack? Probably not. Chicka would probably be on the floor crying after 5 minutes at 3.5mph.

So, I share this because I know I'm not the only one who has these feelings of jealousy and anger towards these gorgeous bodied women. Now, when I see her I am going to just think that I am stronger than her, I'm going to keep my head up and keep trying to beat only myself and no one else.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...