Saturday, May 14, 2011

Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joe's

Okay, so I was totally bored on my day off and reading through some of my favorite blogs looking for inspiration. THREE of the blogs I read had listed this recipe. I felt like that was a sign that I had to make them. You all know me, I enjoy creating my own recipes but if a recipe is good as is, I'm totally sharing it anyways. Apparantely this recipe was originally from my idol, Rachael Ray. The three blogs did exactly what I would do to make it a little lighter which is switch out the ground sirloin with ground turkey breast.

I am totally not a fan of steak sauce, which is called for in this recipe. Jon is however so I still made it as it called for and I actually liked it! I made a couple Cait tweaks to the recipe I followed from Running Mama Cooks. I hope you guys like it. Jon certainly did!

P.S. This is another recipe where I use my mama's cheese sauce. I always have extra on hand which makes a recipe like this super easy to throw together. :)


2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
2 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp paprika
1.25 lbs ground turkey breast
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp tomato paste
Salt and pepper
4-6 hamburger buns or sub rolls
Desired amount of cheese sauce

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, green peppers and garlic and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Add in paprika and ground turkey breast. Cook until turkey breast has turned into a light brown. Add steak sauce, chicken stock, tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Serve desired amount of turkey mixture on bun or roll and top with cheese sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...