Thursday, January 6, 2011

Guest Blogger: Baking With Bonnie

So my friend Casey, who has a must read blog, has had her hilarious husband "guest blog" a couple times. I always wanted to do that but Jon can only toast a bagel and microwave leftovers. Fortunately, I asked my mom to email me one of her recipes for Oatmeal Cookies with Ganache filling and she included a story. Check out Mama, my guest blogger...

********

Let me tell you my yummy (if I do say so myself) Oatmeal Cookie's story

A good friend of ours, Bobby, started working on the LOST TV series, he was on the camera crew...I was on my way back to my condo to make my oatmeal cookies when Bobby was driving by and told me to come down to the LOST site and he would introduce me to movie stars and show me the camp.  So I thought it would be nice to make some of my oatmeal cookies for the crew, or  anyone who wanted some...

So I make my cookies wrap them up pretty and make some for the security guard I always see sitting on the side of the road. I always felt bad for that guy. I get to the set and some big mucky muck is there that day and no one thinks they should let me in. I understand and I give the guard the cookies I made for him, he was so thankful and I think felt bad he couldn't let me in. He said if I drive around to the beach side, a one mile walk down the beach with the cookies, I could see some things being filmed...I said sure! Well after my walk down the beach with cookies in hand an definitely the wrong shoe choice, I get close to the camp and other guards...I tell them Bobby invited me and I have now walked for miles, but that big wig had everyone worried and I couldn't get on the set. So I give the security guards all of the cookies to get to Bobby, hopefully they will get them and eat them!

The next day I hear from Bobby, that the big wigs ate some of my cookies and were mad they didn't let me on the set...The whole camera crew was very upset and said I could get on the set of LOST anytime, but I had to bring more cookies...A few days later I got the royal treatment and so many people coming up to me saying they love my cookies!!!


 
So here is the recipe....

Cookies:
2 sticks of butter- ROOM TEMP.
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. Maui Cane sugar or granulated sugar
2 eggs ROOM TEMP.
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2  tsp. sea salt
3 c. Quaker Oats old fashion uncooked oatmeal
1 c. raisins
1 c. choc. chips-milk choc.
1 c. finely chopped walnuts, you might want to toast them for 2 minutes

Ganache:
4 Cadbury chocolate bars
1/4 stick of butter
1 c. whipping cream

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. I use my kitchen aid mixer to mix the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs one at a time then the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, oatmeal, raisins, choc. chips & walnuts. I turn off the mixer and use a spatula's to clean the sides of the bowl and mix it a little better. With a tsp. drop the mix on a ungreased cookie sheet. It bakes fast so after 7 minutes watch closely, the bottoms seem to brown very fast. So I remove the cookies as soon as I see the brown bottoms, the cookies will continue to cook when you take them out of the oven.

Sometimes I get fancy and make a choc. ganache to put inside of the cookies. I buy 4 large Cadbury choc. bars, heat water in a pan and have a glass bowl inside the pan on top of the hot water. I add 1/4 of stick of butter, 1 c. of whipping cream, the chocolate and let it melt stirring constantly...It will take awhile to cool and thicken! You might want to add some extra butter to your cookie recipe to make a thinner cookie! enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...