Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

This recipe was kind of an accident. I mean, I purposely decided to make a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie but I messed up the recipe a tiny little bit. Usually when I do recipes I label the filling ingredients. Well the recipe I decided to base my first pumpkin whoopie attempt at didn't do that. So I started adding in the filling ingredients right into the pie portion! Yikes! It wasn't until I got to the part where they have a second vanilla extract addition that I put two and two together. I should have read the instructions, but I was way too excited for these bad Larrys!

Anyways, it ended up working out! All of the times before when I made whoopie pies, they always seemed to come out dry. This time they were super moist and delicious. I decided to do a Ginger Cinnamon Cream Cheese filling. Um, yum!

Sorry the picture is cell phone quality. I hereby solemnly swear I will buy a DSLR sometime in the I-hope-not-so-distant-future.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Pie: adapted from this recipe
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp honey
1 15 oz can Libby's pumpkin
2 eggs + 1 egg white
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tbsp ground ginger

Filling:
3/4 cup cream cheese
1 cup shortening
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet(s) with cooking spray.

Using electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, cream, honey, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and almond extract. In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Slowly incorporate dry mixture into wet mixture until fully combine. Use an ice cream scoop to divide batter into cookie sizes on baking sheet(s). Allow to cook for about 11-12 minutes, until fork inserted comes out clean.

Meanwhile, use electric mixer to beat cream cheese and shortening together until well combined and fluffy. Add in remaining ingredients until fully combined. If needed, add another 1/2 tbsp of heavy cream to reach desired consistency of filling.

Makes about 16 whoopie pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...