Sunday, October 24, 2010

Apple Crumbler

Hey Everyone!

I am SO excited about this post. Last night, I was craving something sweet. I was going to attempt to make an apple pie and then realized I didn't have a pie dish. So, I moved onto the next best thing, Apple Crisp. I looked up recipes online and nothing was jumping out at me. So, I moved onto Apple Cobbler, nothing jumped out again. The same happened with Apple Crumble recipes. So, I decided I would just throw elements from each together and make what I'm calling an Apple Crumbler. It was amazing.

I was born in October in New England which is Apple pickin' season, so I am programmed to love anything apple. Especially around this time of year, even living in Hawaii, I get crazy cravings for apple dishes. I've never attempted an apple dish at home before, I wish I had tried sooner! To make mine a little different, I added some maple syrup to the filling and made a glaze for the top. The glaze isn't too sweet because its balanced out with some lemon juice.

If you guys have been reading this blog but don't know which recipe to try, start with this one. It was easy to throw together and so tasty. Send me your feedback: cookingwithcait@gmail.com.

Apple Crumbler

Filling:
3-3 1/2 cups apples peeled, cored and diced into small chunks
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Crumbler:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 stick butter, room temperature
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for filling. Spread into 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.







In same mixing bowl as filling (you will pick up some of the yummy spices and juices) combine all ingredients besides butter until incorporated. Using an electric mixer, beat in butter until dry ingredients have stuck to it and made a crumbly texture topping. Spread this topping over apple filling until fully covered.

Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. While it is baking, prepare glaze.

Combine all ingredients for glaze in small mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.

Pour glaze over top of crumbler as soon as it gets out of the oven. Serve with some vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...