Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cait vs. Cake

Hey Guys!

Today was my good friend Janine's baby shower. Janine is about to be blessed with triplets, ALL BOYS! OMG! So, my mom put me in charge of the cake! Awesomeness. This was my first time ever decorating a sheet cake. I was incredibly excited for the challenge.

I picked up a plain vanilla with buttercream cake at Costco. I asked for it with no borders, no decoration of any kind. I figured since it was my first time attempting the decorations, I better not try to be a hero and do the sheet cake itself too.


First, I had to make the fondant. I made this using 16 oz of marshmallows, melted with 2 tbsp of water and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Once that was melted, I used my kitchenaid mixer to beat in 2 lbs of sifted powdered sugar.Then, I kneaded that until it was a firm ball, covered it with plastic wrap and let it set in the fridge overnight.

Next, I made some white chocolate turtles that I had dyed green using food coloring. I used a mold I got at my favorite store Executive Chef. Then, I made all the fondant pieces for the cake. I made palm tree leaves and using a toothpick attached them to pretzel rods. I made shells for the beach. I made a green blanket for the babies to lay on on the beach with white chocolate polka dots. Then I made the babies! Three cute little boys. Check out some of the pictures of their evolution: (sorry the pictures are a little blurry, my camera hates me!)



 


Then, the best part, I got to put it all together! I used graham cracker crumbs mixed with some granulated sugar to make the sand. I used some frosting with blue and green food dye to make a turquoise colored sea. I added all my elements and wrote Congrats Janine & Kyle! I'm so happy with the way it turned out and the cake itself was delicious. Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!



 




2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...